The effect of home-schooling has been profound on children and young people when lockdown measures have been taken to protect the health of the nation, but digital access can help to retain a sense of commonality and belonging even during this period of isolation (Young Minds, March 2020).
The survey with 2,111 young people with a history of mental health needs between Friday 20th March (the day that schools closed to most children) and Wednesday 25th March (when there had been a further tightening of restrictions) found:
- 32% agreed that it had made their mental health much worse
- 51% agreed that it had made their mental health a bit worse
- 9% agreed that it made no difference to their mental health
- 6% said that their mental health had become a bit better
- 1% said that their mental health had become much better